The musings of a girl who's a bit too eager to talk about anything and everything.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Nostalgia

9:37 AM Posted by Allie Wood , , 1 comment
Nostalgia sounds like it could be a name for a horror movie if no one knew the meaning of the word.
Think about it.
Nostalgia.

Anyway.
It's my last Thursday at home, so I've decided  I'm going to do a really long Throwback Thursday for just a little bit.
It's a weird feeling because, normally, I'd be starting school again right about this time, but I'm not this year.
I mean, hey, no more high school. That's a plus.
Let's recap on some finer points of senior year, then, shall we?

  • I met my best friend.
    • Well, technically, I didn't meet her this year, but we got extremely close and I could not be more grateful than I already am for the girl known as Abby Shields. (Thank goodness for our U.S. Government class for bringing us together and a big shout out to Mr. Adamson for letting us sit next to each other all semester and wreak our sassy havoc.) She's been there for me through everything and I can always count on her for a late night conversation that will make no sense in the morning, but totally makes sense when we're discussing things of the world, such as how cool Nic Cage is, at around 1:00 in the AM hours. I mean, who else is going to watch The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty with me whenever I want?  I'm actually trying to figure out how I can steal her and bring her to Florida with me after boot camp, because I'm not going to know what to do with myself with her not being a two minute drive from my house. I can hide her under my bed, right?

She's the Riley Poole to my Nic Cage.

  • I went on my first flight.
    • No, not my first time on a plane. My first time actually flying a plane. It was a glorious experience. Every plane I've seen since then prompts the thought of "Why can't I be the one flying that?" Let me tell you, once you actually get to fly a plane, that's all you really ever want to do.

Simple "plane" selfies are the best.
And so are plays on words.
Side note, I really miss my long hair.

  • I actually graduated.
    • That was definitely a close one. If you're still in high school and you're reading this, please, don't slack off like I did and have to do pretty much a whole two years of high school in the last semester of your senior year. It's not fun. So, DO NOT DO IT.


But, hey, look, I made it and there I am standing on the base of a statue I probably wasn't supposed to climb on and touch. Oops.


  • PHILOSOPHY CLASS
    • Okay, this one is SO important. That was the most fantastic class I have ever taken in my life. It really opened my mind to a lot of new perspectives and ideas. The term "question everything," has become extremely relevant in my life due to this class, and it's actually extremely useful. Never be afraid to have a different opinion than others, but do not limit yourself to just your own opinion.
    • And how can I not include our wonderful video that we made for the class? The link is right below this so that all you have to do is click and witness the glory. Yes, I'm the one in the beginning on the swing, swinging a sledgehammer at a door, and randomly in for like 0.2 seconds throughout the rest.
    • Bohemian Rhapsody - Philosophy

  • My best comment of the school year.
    • I say a lot of funny stuff at school. I really do. Granted, most of it is in my head because I'd get in trouble if I said it out loud. But, I made everyone laugh with this one in my Interior Design class.
    • Mrs. T: "This symbol here stands for a single sink. Class, what is a single sink?" Me: "A sink that watches chick flicks and eats Ben & Jerry's." 

  • Snowball fights at Hill Aerospace Museum.
    • That kind of just speaks for itself, honestly. I mean, have you ever had a snowball fight around and underneath planes like the B-29 Superfortress, a Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, or a C-119G Flying Boxcar? Nope. Didn't think so.

Here's the view from my hiding spot of choice. It was truly a glorious day.
It was also the best field trip I have EVER been on.

  • OU beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
    • That actually has nothing to do with my senior year, but it happened, and I'm still extremely proud of it. Plus, I have an awesome OU hoodie dedicated to that win that says "Pour some sugar on me" which is the most clever piece of clothing I own.

  • I joined the Navy.
    • I made the decision that will dictate my life for at least the next eight years, and that was the decision to join the United States Navy as an aviation technician. I joined on December 17, 2013, and here I am ready to leave for boot camp on Tuesday. Crazy how time flies, right?

  • Breakups.
    • Okay, I mean, I wouldn't personally call breakups "finer points" of anything, but, y'know, they taught me a lot and I'm actually quite appreciative for them. It helped me learn what type of guys NOT to date as well as qualities I need in a guy, such as a great sense of humor and his support for my life goals. So, all in all, at least I got a bunch of free dinners and movies out of all that dating stuff, right? (That was totally not meant to sound snobbish or bitter towards any of the guys I've dated, so, if I dated you within the last year or so, and you're reading this, you're still rad, just not my type of rad anymore, which is probably the best for the both of us.)

  • I wrote some kick-butt college papers and made some kick-butt presentations.
    • I mean, I still go back and read all my essays and look at all my presentations because, dang, they were good. Such as my WWII conspiracy theory presentation that I managed to make look absolutely awesome. Look at the wide view of this glorious piece of work.


  • Great memories.
    • Just overall, I made some phenomenal memories that I'm not ever going to forget. (Y'know, until I have an accident in a science lab and accidentally turn myself into an evil villain and forget my previous life.) So, this is a thank you to everyone who was in my life for the past year. I'm grateful for all of you. If you're on my good side, I'm grateful for your friendship and love. It got me through a lot, even if you don't think we were that close, or whatever. You helped me, trust me. If you're one of the people on my bad side, I'm grateful for you, too, because you were in my life and helped teach me some great lessons, and I really do wish you guys all the best.


Honestly, I'm scared to leave, but I'm excited to start the next chapter in my life.
I feel like a fresh start will do me some good.
Starting over in a new place will most likely be a very fantastic moment somewhere in the months to come.

In the words on Rhett Butler, "With enough courage, you can do without a reputation."


1 comment: