The musings of a girl who's a bit too eager to talk about anything and everything.

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Secret Life Of Allie Wood

12:18 AM Posted by Allie Wood , No comments
So, I mean, it's 12:18 in the AM hours.


I'm not asleep. (Duh, Allie. Of course you're not asleep. You're typing this.) I mean, that's not surprising.
I haven't slept well at all lately. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm stressed out of my mind about leaving. Let's not get me started on that subject, because I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to talk about that. I'm basically in denial. I have myself convinced that I didn't actually graduate from high school and I have to go back on August 26th or whenever it is that school starts back up again. Hmm, maybe I'll take more art classes this time around. (See my denial? It's grand. I'm imagining going back to a place I hated. Yaaaay me.)

So, what do I decide to do when I can't sleep? I get on my handy dandy movie laptop app thing, (no, not Netflix. Now THAT'S surprising.) and watch The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. Honestly, I watch that movie about every other day, but it does seem to take on new meaning when it's a little past the time where my brain figuratively recedes into itself and starts contemplating EVERYTHING.

I'm SO  in love with this movie, if you can't tell by the way I bolded, italicized, underlined, AND capitalized the word "so." Honestly, I say this a lot towards many different things, but if you haven't seen it, you really need to. It will make your soul so happy. Ben Stiller is great and his clothing style in this movie is how I think I want my future husband to dress. It's that good. The cinematography is phenomenal. The soundtrack is super perfect. The whole thing is flawless. I'm not using the term 'flawless' lightly here. This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

But, tonight, it really got me thinking. Yeah, I know, I'm always thinking. Actually, I'm usually the one who thinks way too hard about everything. Tonight, I was just speculating. (There we go! There's the word I was looking for.) I related a lot more to Walter this time around than I have before. Let's talk about this. There's only three comparisons at this moment. There's probably more, but I can't find it in me to think of anymore right now.

  • We both have creative minds.
    • I mean, he uses his to come up with amazing daydreams. Mine mostly stems out in the form of things like painting or poetry, but same thing, right?

  • There are great journeys ahead.
    • He leaves to go on this insane adventure to places he's never even dreamed of going to track down something for his job, but has an amazing time along the way, including witnessing things like an erupting volcano. Me? I'm moving out on my own, doing things I've never done, for my job. I don't think an erupting volcano is going to be in my journey here anytime soon, but it's still going to be an insane adventure all the same.

  • Ghost cats. (This is Wil Wheaton popping his head into this post and screaming, "DON'T READ THIS BULLET POINT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY."
    • My favorite part of the movie is when Sean O'Connell is talking to Walter Mitty about the snow leopard, the ghost cat. He talks about how beautiful things don't ask for attention. I love how that line resonated with me the first time I watched this glorious cinematic masterpiece. Walter Mitty ends up being a metaphorical ghost cat himself. I'd like the think that I will fit into that description at some point in my life. It's an amazing concept, and I want to be part of that.

I feel as if I need to channel Walter Mitty and Sean O'Connell going into my journey ahead. I'll be Major Tom with a side of teaching myself to appreciate moments while they're here instead of bulldozing into the next one.

Side note: I need to get myself a cool travel journal and maybe go somewhere where I can get one of those "mountain blessings" Walter got.
Again I say:
GO WATCH THIS MOVIE.
RIGHT. NOW.
STOP READING THIS.
GOOOOO.

Also, they were completely correct in the movie when they said that Rizzo from Grease was both tough and tender.
And it gave me a brand new appreciation for the song Major Tom.


Let's go find our quintessence of life, yeah?

0 comments:

Post a Comment