The musings of a girl who's a bit too eager to talk about anything and everything.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Allie's Guide To Being Homesick

11:00 AM Posted by Allie Wood No comments
Well, I think the title explains how I'm feeling right now pretty fairly, so there you go.

I would imagine that the reason why I'm really homesick right now is because yesterday marks another mission farewell that I haven't been able to go to, because, y'know, I happen to be living 1,882 miles away from my family and friends at the moment.

Do not get me wrong. I love living in Florida, I love my job, and I love the people around me and my life in general, but, it's rough because I'm still trying to get used to the fact that I'm not living at home anymore. It feels like some weird business trip to a vacation spot or something. Actually, the business trip thing is technically exactly what's going on here. It's still an odd feeling. I don't like getting the reminder that my friends' lives are going on without me there and that my life is going on without them, as well.

But, here's how I seem to get over getting homesick, at least for a couple days at a time.


  • STEP ONE
    • Eat 3 Musketeers bars. Lots of 3 Musketeer bars. 3 Musketeer bars cure almost every problem know to mankind. It's science. Trust me. (You actually probably shouldn't trust me on that, but... Trust me.)

  • STEP TWO
    • Go all typical mopey teenager and have a Netflix marathon in bed. Netflix is usually a good distraction. I'm currently in season 3 of Last Man Standing and it's so hilarious. Watch it. I dare you. Actually, I triple dog dare you. Now you have to do it. Christmas Story even says so.

  • STEP THREE
    • READ ALL THE BOOKS. No, but for real, my desk shelf is slowly filling up with books because bookstores seem to be the only places I want to go when I go off-base anymore. Also, quick appreciation sentence about Brandon. I'm really, really lucky to have a boyfriend who will just sit in bookstores with me for literally six hours on end while I look at book-after-comic-after-magazine-after-book and not get sick of me or my bookworm shenanigans. He's rad.



  • STEP FOUR
    • Count down the days until you'll be back home on leave. That kind of only works if you're in the military, but... You get the idea. In case you're wondering, that's in 26 days. 26 days until I get back to the snowy coldness that we call Utah. By the way, I only know of two other kids on this whole base that are from Utah, and I knew both of them before getting to boot camp, let alone getting to Florida, so I guess that works, too. But, anyway, I can't wait to see everyone back at home. I miss you guys like crazy. We'll party. And by party, I mean probably watch The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty in our pajamas and drink chai tea. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Abigail Shields.)

  • STEP FIVE
    • Study. Y'know, I figure I might as well be productive and study for my tests instead of mope around about all the fun I'm missing back at home. (By the way, I totally have a ton of fun here, don't worry about that. I'm just complaining about missing things for the sake of complaining.) To be honest, learning about my job is like one million times more important than missing home. I love you guys back at home to death, but learning how to find the current and total impedance and other related measurements of a circuit is kind of... better, for the lack of a better word. Ha, look, I used the word better because I lacked a better word. (Exhibit A of things I think are funny that actually aren't.)

  • STEP SIX
    • Go to Portside and play pool and watch movies all night with your friends. That seems to do the trick right away. Shoutout to Nikko for teaching me how to play pool, by the way. You rock.

And, usually, by the time I get through with all that, I thoroughly remember that I love my life and, as much as it sucks to be away from the home I've known my whole life, I'm on a new adventure and I'm doing just fine.


“Home wasn't a set house or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go.” 
- Sarah Dessen

0 comments:

Post a Comment