The musings of a girl who's a bit too eager to talk about anything and everything.

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Why I Love Being In Love.

7:16 AM Posted by Allie Wood , , , No comments
So, it's Brandon's and my one year anniversary together.
Crazy, huh?
(I wish I could tell my sad high school self that I wasn't going to be sad and alone forever.)



Here is a list of some of the main reason why I just love being in love!
  • Because of all the little things.
    • Sometimes, the little things are the most important. The things you notice when you fall in love with someone are phenomenal. They're things you really never would have noticed before. Such as the unique way his eyes and nose crinkle up when he smiles. The way I can hear the excitement in his voice when he talks about something he's passionate about. They way he absent-mindedly rubs his thumb in a circle in the back of my hand when we're holding hands. The way I still get butterflies when I see him, even though we've been together for a year now. Them grabbing you some Advil when they know you aren't feeling good. Seriously, the little things add up, so never count them out.
  • Because there's always someone to talk to.
    • No, I don't mean small talk, and I don't mean that in an, "Oh, I'm so bored, I need to find someone to talk to," way. I mean that I always have someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to rant to, someone that'll keep me in check before I start running myself into a wall. Basically, someone I can have actual intelligent conversations with. I have someone that I could tell a stupid joke to one moment, and then proceed get into a deep philosophical debate the next. I'm never bored with him, which is such an important factor to me.
  • Because we're able to challenge each other and push each other to be even better people than we once were.
    • Obviously, we fell in love with each other for our own reasons, and that means we don't want each other to change, at least not drastically. What it means is that we don't want to see each other change for the worse. We want to see each other succeed. We want to help the other learn and grow. Whether it's Brandon making me eat something healthy as opposed to letting me shove a package of Oreos down my throat at superhuman speed, or whether it's me telling him to get off his phone and enjoy the scenery, it's strictly because we love and care for each other. We want to see each other put our best foot forward, regardless of the situation.
  • Because after all this time, there's still a bit of territorial skirmishes over one another.
    • I know Brandon's not fond of the fact that I get free crickets for my tarantulas because the guy at the exotic pets store thinks I'm cute. Brandon knows I'm not fond of the cashiers hinting to him about when they get off of work when we're grocery shopping. It's a bit annoying to see that happen. But, the beautiful part of it is that we know we're the only ones that love the other like that. I don't worry about Brandon gallivanting off with some other girl, so, sometimes, I just take the fact that other females blatantly flirt with him as a compliment. It makes me feel even more lucky to be able to call him mine because out of all the girls vying for his attention, he chose me. And I couldn't be happier.

  • I can be myself around him.
    • Sure, of course I act like myself all the time. But there have been times where I've tried to be something I'm not or pretend to like something to get someone's attention. But, never once have I felt that I have to be anything but myself around him. I feel like that is one of the most important things in a relationship, aside from respect. They need to love you for you. All your little quirks, your maybe not-so-cute faces when you eat something sour, maybe some snappy sarcasm every once in a while. (Okay, all the time.) It has to be unconditional. There can't be any "I love you, buts." Find someone who simply loves you for being you. Someone who doesn't make you feel like you need to pretend. That's healthy. It's love. I couldn't be anymore lucky with the fact that I found just the person who loves me for me,.
  • Because with him, I finally found out what love is to me.
    • Just like everyone else, I have had bad relationships. I had those relationships where I thought (keyword: thought) I was sooo in love with some "wonderful" boy, only to get my heart broken. I've been lied to. I've been cheated on once or twice. (Twice.) I've been treated very poorly. I've been ignored. I've been stabbed in the back. I've been used. Yet, there I was, being a naive, dramatic little teenager, and telling myself that "love requires sacrifice." What it took me a while to learn is that, yes, of course, love requires sacrifice, but not at the hands of one person always being put second, always getting hurt. Love requires both parties to sacrifice things such as time, money, and a little bit of sanity at some points. But NEVER does it require one person sacrificing their well-being for the other. As much as I claim I would have liked to figure that out earlier, I actually don't. I'm extremely grateful that it took me a lot of failed relationships to get to the point I'm at, because, without those experiences, honestly, I would not appreciate where I am right now with the actual love of my life. I'd think he was just another guy, when, in reality, he's everything I've been looking for and much, much more. Being with Brandon has taught me that loving someone requires effort on both parts. It requires putting someone before you. (Obviously, not always. Not to the point where you let yourself go for them.) It requires patience. It requires compromise. You realize that love is like a living, breathing human being. You have to feed it. You have to make sure it's in good shape. You have to make sure you're giving it the right medicine when it gets sick. If you do those things, it's amazing. It's something you have never felt before. It's real love. It's a challenge, but, by heavens, it is worth everything.
  • Because being in love taught me that the phrase, "You have to love yourself before someone can love you," isn't true.
    • Do you have to love yourself first before someone can love you? No. Absolutely not. Being in love taught me that's it's okay to have days where I don't love myself. To be honest, there are days where I absolutely hate everything about me, but I have a person who loves me unconditionally. He shows me every single day that I'm still worth loving even when I can't love myself. It works vice versa, too. Even he has days where he's unsure of himself and isn't viewing himself as being worthy of love and I'll remind him of how joyful I get when I look at him. I'll remind him about how much potential I see in him. In other words, I'll tell him how much I love him. It's amazing to see that the love you give someone can give them strength when they don't have their own. Everyone, I repeat, EVERYONE needs someone in their life to remind them that they're worth more than they think they are, and, more importantly,  that they're worth loving.
  • Because when he says, "I love you," I get the same rush of happiness that I got the very first time he said it.
    • Obviously, the phrase "I love you" has been said back and forth between us multiple times, and we have never not meant it. But, the fact that sometimes I still get that feeling I get when a roller coaster drops me really fast when he says "I love you" is awesome. That's a good thing, trust me. I love that feeling. I don't know any other way to describe it. It was a really beautiful moment when he first said those three words. We were stargazing somewhere on base down in Pensacola that we weren't actually supposed to be. We went anyway because it had the best stargazing viewpoint, and you know me and stars. Anyway, we were basically silent, and out of nowhere, he told me he loved me. I was actually in shock for a couple seconds because I had never heard those words said to me from a guy I was dating with such shyness and honesty before in my life. To be honest, I had to take a minute to realize that it was real and that he actually said it. I still get that feeling constantly, but now it's a mixture of that, and feeling so lucky that I somehow managed to find someone as wonderful as him, and that someone as wonderful as him could love someone as crazy, opinionated, and silly as me.
Obviously, there are a million reasons why I love Brandon and why I love being in love. These were just a few. I hope every single one of you gets to find the happiness that comes with a love like this. You all deserve it. <3





0 comments:

Post a Comment