The musings of a girl who's a bit too eager to talk about anything and everything.

Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Thank You To My Mom.

10:36 AM Posted by Allie Wood , , , , No comments
So, as I'm sure you're all well aware, today is mother's day, and I just wanted to take a little time to talk about the wonderful woman that I am so lucky to be able to call my mother.

This is my beautiful mother.
She's the most beautiful woman in the world.




This is the woman who has raised me and has been there for me every step of the way through my life. She's the one who has taken care of me when I'm sick or when I was heartbroken and thought all was lost in the world. She's been there through all my victories, and more importantly, through all my losses. She's supported me whole-heartedly in everything I've wanted to do, anywhere from my Tae Kwon Do classes and tournaments, me joining the military, and me beginning university classes. She's been on the other end of the line every time I've called home because I was homesick or just needed someone to talk to. She's been there for everything.

And this is my thank you.

Thank you for holding me every time I skinned my knees.
Thank you for forcing me to put jackets on to go outside when it was cold.
Thank you for getting onto me when I didn't do my homework.
Thank you for cheering for me after every tae kwon do match whether I won or not.
Thank you for making me eat my vegetables and drink emergen-C even though I hated it.
Thank you for showing me what a strong woman looks like and who I should aspire to be.
Thank you for being so kind to me even when I acted like an absolute brat.
Thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder every time a friend stabbed me in the back.
Thank you for telling me I deserved better when I got my heart broken by dumb boys.
Thank you for teaching me how to lighten up when I started taking things too seriously.
Thank you for going dress shopping with me for every single school dance, even though I didn't really need any new dresses.
Thank you for making me get my first job even though I was perfectly content staying at home and being lazy.
Thank you for the spur-of-the-moment outings with just me and you that allowed us to talk and bond.
Thank you for never judging me for making stupid decisions. 
Thank you for teaching me how to be kind to those that I don't like, because everyone deserves respect.
Thank you for letting me see you cry so that I knew it was okay to be upset over things and not bottle them in.
Thank you for forcing me to come out of my room sometimes.
Thank you for taking care of me every single time I was sick, whether it was that time I had mono or if it was just a cold.
Thank you for picking me up from school the first day I had a period cramp and convinced me that I wasn't dying like I thought I was.
Thank you for always having my back.
Thank you for all the books you bought me because you knew how much reading meant to me.
Thank you for listening to me when I'd ramble on and on about stuff I'm sure you didn't really care about, like all the dinosaur facts in the world. (They're not bones, they're fossils.) Or all the facts about aircraft when I was in my aviation class, like my rants about how the SR-71 shouldn't have been retired and how the Wright Brothers weren't actually the first ones to fly or make an aircraft.
Thank you for the times you let me help you with your college math homework and made me feel needed.
Thank you for simply accepting me and my decisions, even if you didn't agree with them.
Thank you for telling me how beautiful I am all the time, especially on days where I didn't believe it.
Thank you for all the times you sat down and straightened my hair because I was so insecure about my natural mess of hair.
Thank you for taking time out of your day to take me to see people I looked up to, like that time you took me to Barnes & Noble to talk to Obert Skye to get him to sign the rest of my Leven Thumps books even though he'd already signed two of them at my school earlier that day.
Thank you for sacrificing a Saturday to take me to that Train concert because none of my friends wanted to go with me and you saw how badly I wanted to go.
Thank you for always asking if I need anything at all.
Thank you for letting me use your car during my teenage years to go hang out with my friends or go on dates.
Thank you for always making sure I had everything I needed.
Thank you for letting me know I was important when I felt like it would be better if I just faded into the background.

Thank you for all of the things that I can't remember while I'm writing this.
Thank you for absolutely everything.
Thank you for loving me unconditionally.

And lastly,
thank you for being my mother.

I hope you have a wonderful mother's day. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you and I wish I could get a hug from you today.

Happy Mother's Day to the best mother I could have ever asked for.
I love you so much.


Here's a quote I love about mothers:

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” 

~ Washington Irving

0 comments:

Post a Comment